Raw foodism in pregnancy? Is it possible? And more importantly, is it healthy and safe?
You can live high or even 100% raw food lifestyle while being pregnant. There is no reason why a woman blessed to be pregnant can’t eat a high raw diet during pregnancy, and no doctor will tell you that raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds aren’t healthy for you and your little unborn baby you carry.
However, you should educate yourself about all important nutrients in order to get everything ‘essential’ to your body and to your little human being who is developing in your womb.
I wouldn’t recommend starting your high raw vegan journey if you are already pregnant as you may harm your baby due to detoxification processes. The same would be with breast feeding and going high raw. If you are not on a high raw diet yet and pregnant, I would wait with this transition once your baby is off your breast. Have said, you can ALWAYS incorporate more raw food into your current diet 🙂
Raw Foodism in pregnancy
Here are some tips:
- No pregnancy is the same and you should always listen to your own body. One women’s experience may differ hugely from another.
- Your tasting buds might change hugely or not at all. Don’t be surprised either way 🙂 especially the first trimester, you may experience that some of the food you always loved cannot be even looked at! Your body might refuse naturally cleansing foods such as dark leafy greens, algae such as chlorella and herbs. Your body just wants to protect your developing baby.
- By listening to your own intuition and body you will feel a sense of empowerment which will aid you during your entire experience as a pregnant woman. Instincts are strong during this time; embrace them!
- If you experience morning sickness, it doesn’t mean you are doing something wrong or your body is too toxic. Your hormone levels are changing. Water with lemon juice and ginger, ginger tea, raw nut butter on crackers, apple for headache, glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and honey maigh help. Even fruit smoothie.
- You will need to be eating enough to put on the healthy amount of weight necessary during pregnancy and breastfeeding but there is no need to eat for two! Nutrient density is important not high calories.
- Please, buy only organic food. You don’t want to put pesticides and other toxic chemicals while being pregnant. I have written an article on why to eat organic which you can read HERE.
- There are several key nutrients that you should ensure getting into your body during pregnancy. These are: Protein, Essential Fatty Acids and DHA/EPA, Folate, Vitamin B12, Iron, Calcium, Vitamin K, Vitamin D, and Choline. Please note that ALL vitamins and minerals are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding, these are just a few focal points especially as a vegan or raw foodist. I highly recommend drinking fresh coconut water from young coconuts as well as eating coconut meat out of the shell. Very nutritious and beneficial for both of you 🙂 You can read more about the benefits of young coconuts HERE.
- You may consider taking pregnancy herbs and superfoods such as: red raspberry leaf, dong quai, coconut oil, hemp oil, flaxseed oil, raw cacao butter, marine phytoplankton
If you have more questions regarding raw food and pre-pregnancy, pregnancy and breastfeeding please contact me or you may want to have a look at my personal one week meal plan HERE 🙂